Sunday, February 9, 2014

My Obsession with Mo Willems' Books

My Obsession with Mo Willems' Books

So, I have to tell you about my all-time favorite children's author. His books will make you (yes, you--the adult) laugh hysterically. I have never come across more fun, interactive, and relatable books for children. If you have never had the privilege of diving into a Mo Willems book with your child(ren), trust me when I say, "you are missing out!"
Willems was a former writer and
animator for Sesame Street.
My love of Willems' books began when I stumbled across Knuffle Bunny several years ago in a local bookstore. I laughed out loud reading in the store and was thrilled to share the new book with my young class the next week. They too were enthralled with the hilarious character development, Caldecott-winning images, and witty writing and dialogue. It quickly became our class' favorite book. Soon after, Knuffle Bunny Too and Knuffle Bunny Free were released as well. The sequels are every bit as humorous, as the reader is sucked into Trixie's (the main character) adventures as she grows older in each book. Fair warning: if you are a father to a daughter or a "daddy's girl", Knuffle Bunny Free will make you tear up.



My love for Mo Willems' children's series spans beyond the Knuffle Bunny books to include "the Pigeon books" and the "the Elephant and Piggy books". You and your child will cackle at the many misadventures of these well-developed characters as they pull you into the pages of the book by speaking directly to you, the reader. I highly recommend you check out any and all of Willems' amazing books. There is no better way to encourage literacy skills at home than reading with your child. How wonderful is it when you find an author that you can both enjoy?

*A sampling of several Mo Willems' popular titles*


Mo Willems' books are available in most major book retailers, children's bookstores, through Scholastic, and online:

Mo Willems' Amazon Page

Mo Willems' Books at Barnes & Noble

Mo Willems' Books at Books-A-Million


And check out the new Mo Willems' app, Don't Let The Pigeon Run This App!, for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. 


Happy Reading,
The Prepped Parent

No comments:

Post a Comment